Saturday, December 17, 2011

More On Iron John

Reading my way through this "men's book" is beginning to feel like work.  I find myself scanning. Robert Bly makes a great case for the Wild Man, not to be confused with the savage man.

Wild Men are not softened by the overpowering feminist influences. I read a posting on a survivalist blog bemoaning the "rampant feminism". I guess this is what they mean.

I will read this entire book because it does make sense. I think its belaboring the issue, hence I scan. This is a sign to put the book down and take it in smaller doses. Wild Men are my type. If I wanted a weak man, I'd get a soft woman.

I really can't see the Wild Man reading this work. It seems to speak more to the man who wants to free himself, to venture out and trust his instincts, to chuck away the confines of cultural demands for "the whole man",  a nurturing, household chore splitting, diaper changing spouse.

To each their own. Not saying what anyone should do except find their own Nirvana.

So, to cut the mythology and get some practical applications, I began Never Say Die. This survival manual was published in 1979 for the Canadian Air Force. Its no nonsense first chapter totally makes the case for proper psychology over any other possible advantage gear might give.

The right attitude means accepting and dealing with fear, recognizing the emergency immediately, and coping with the 7 enemies of survival, being Pain, cold, thirst, hunger, fatigue and boredom-loneliness.

The chapter ends with a detailed description of good group dynamics, including believing in your leader, having confidence you are a valuable part of that group.

I think these two books provide a balance and will continue to read each one daily until finished, reporting here regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment