Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Alternate Stove Test Photos


I wrote about this stove yesterday, and told how to make it with just a salt container and motor oil. After letting it "cure" for about 4 hours, so the oil would impregnate all the cardboard, I took it outside and lit the cotton wick with just one kitchen match. Easy!


After it burned brightly for half an hour, surprising both me and my partner, I put it out with this aluminum pan. I'll test it again, using a pot support and can to boil water in. Lets see how much more burn time it will give me!






This project is inspired by the movie The Road. I also read the book by Cormac McCarthy. It will inspire you to learn how to utilize the least of all things, combining and experimenting to shape something of value.

Surviving is a journey, not a destination.

1 comment:

  1. "The Road" was harsh. I read the book, and immediately decided I didn't have enough ammo. I was horrified by the part where the cannibals chased down the woman and the child , while all the protagonist could do was flee with his one round in the revolver. The movie is not for the faint of heart, it's really good and true to the book, which tells you all you need to know about the content! I like your little "sump lamp." Innovation is always positive.

    ReplyDelete