Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cooking with New Fuel System

I've got 1.5 hours on this new alternative fuel stove and still going. This morning I heated water to a boil in a can using a pot support and coffee can.
With the can on top holding water, the soot became more obvious. The heat could have been better contained with a windscreen added, and lid, but this morning it was all about how long the fuel would last.

This is totally doable and survival mode. My next adventure is building an oven to use with this fuel system. It will have a much broader base, and be insulated.




Meanwhile, the garden is doing good. I picked produce this morning. Every day we get something. I'm working on expanding the garden, not so easy perched atop a mountain with marvelous trees all around.
Its a great challenge, building up the soil, adding our own compost and not having any dirt hauled in.
I wouldn't have it any other way!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great field expedient stove. I hope I'm never "on the road" but if I were that would work. Your produce makes me envious. Hungry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arsenius. My goal is to have something for the table every day.
    I love this stove idea cause the whole thing will eventually, god knows when, burn up. So far there's 1 1/2 hours on this little thing, able to boil water, and give light.
    I watched The Road several times and read the book, so great inspiration to learn before its too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt like it was good for me to read "The Road" and I watched the movie, but it was very disturbing. What bothered me most was the "hooray for me and to hades with you" attitude. I am afraid that's how it might really be and I hate to think of myself like that. The scene in the movie where the protagonist runs off and lets the cannibals get the woman and her child really bothered me a lot. I know he only had one round and had to protect his own child, but it seemed wrong. One reason I'll never bug out is that I can handle things with my set up on this mountain top, but what would I be in his situation? I don't think I want to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The entire thing was disturbing, Arsenius, but so on target with the human condition. From the time the boy was born til they hit the road it must have been about 6 or 7 years. I think nearly every form of chivalry would be dead, and a person would only leave home if they had to.
    But I did love the ending, when they reach the coast, a bug is flying ,and there's a family with a dog. We see the boy has humanity where his father had become jaded. I think the author gave us a glimmer of hope.
    I would head to the coast in his situation, because the ocean has life even in darkness.

    I really enjoy your comments, thanks!

    ReplyDelete