Friday, June 10, 2011

Survialist Stuff

While catching up on some of my favorite blogs, among them
http://thesurvivalistblog.net I read the post on surviving a bout of diarrhea. The woman who wrote the guest post is a registered nurse. Very informational about the body's system of purging via elimination. I know I've used Imodium on my long distance hikes for quick relief, without really analyzing how I got the symptoms. It always seemed to occur immediately after a town day of eating lots of ice cream, hamburgers and greasy stuff. I chalked it up to too much rich food after a week of lean rationing.

I found this link which describes how to make an electrolyte solution at home:
http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm

The Brat diet is a very effective, safe and inexpensive way to deal with diarrhea. Bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast make up the easy treatment. Plenty of clean water, with the salts and sugars described in the rehydrate.org website,  are also inexpensive additions to the plan.

Its important to stay healthy so our bodies can heal themselves in many situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment