Saturday, October 9, 2010

Get Some Acorns

My Acorn Project video is now available on my channel at

http://www.youtube.com/user/brawny03

I took all the footage, compiled it with that down home touch hoping to inspire all my friends to check out this cool nut alternative.

While I was up at the picnic site processing these acorns, a nice older couple came by to chat. Turns out she had taught boy scouts back in the day how to use acorns to make pancakes. My whole thing, I told them, was to find ways to use acorns with the simplest of tools and least energy expended. I use these acorns, after processing, like one would use walnuts, pecans, almonds or cooked beans.

Being an experienced cook, I have some preferred methods to create flavor. Sauteing with canola oil and spices creates a product which can be eaten as a garnish or with fried rice. I prefer to use canola oil because it has higher burn point than butter, and contains healthy omega 3 fatty acids which raise our beneficial HDL cholesterol.

By mincing this prepared product we can incorporate acorns into vegetarian burgers or patties and serve with a variety of condiments.

Preparing the acorns with cinnamon and nutmeg instead of savory spices would make an excellent addition to baked goods such as muffins and nut breads.

Some acorns do not require processing. Their tannin levels are so low that they can be eaten raw or cooked in foods. Before processing, taste raw shelled acorns and decide how bitter they are. Then use water to remove bitter tannins as needed.

According to my research, the only animal that can not eat acorns is horses because acorns are toxic to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment