Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Second Stove and Perfection


Originally I thought all the holes had to be open to the air. First tests showed it still burned too hot. I slid the top down so that the bottom covered the holes half way. Then, putting the thick batter into a cold pot, with oil both in the batter (1 tablespoon) and oil in the pot, I let it cook for about 6 minutes.



Once again I worked with my slow burner. The second version is more precise, and I was able to adjust the amount of airflow until it made a sputtering sound. This sound told me just enough air was getting to the fuel to allow a slow combustion.

Perfect. I didn't want too much heat, especially for such a thick cake.

The second video is at YouTube also

http://www.youtube.com/user/brawny03

It shows how the pot support, windscreen and buffer pan was utilized to create this perfect cake.

I call it a cake. Really, it is 4 ounces Jiffy cornbread mix, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon oil, and just enough water to create a thick batter.

Rainmaker pronounced it delicious.

Stay tuned for the Ultralighter's Kitchen: a system of stoves and cookware to create gourmet meals on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment