Friday, September 2, 2016

Back On Track



I left Boise for Atlanta on March 23, 2016, determined to do another thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. On August 3, I summitted Katahdin. It was my second successful thru hike. Why a second hike? To figure some things out. Sometimes you need to get off the grid to get your life back in focus.


A bit overkill, you might say. And you're right. There are a ton of adages that should help a gal figure things out without having to resort to living in the mountains, hiking alone doing twenty mile days, then sleeping on ground after a supper of ramen and gorp.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Stick with what you know. Live the life you've imagined. Jump and the net will appear.
What? Seems contradictory.
Bottom line, all I knew for sure was that I was a burnt out seasonal cook/adventure writer who wasn't ready to retire and had no idea where to call home.  So, after a two stop flight and subsequent shuttle to the trail head, I totted my pack (a base weight of 12.5 pounds plus 6 pounds of food) up to Springer Mountain. I signed in and headed north.

Now, I'm back and feel the urge to write again. Over the last five  months, I met a host of great people, gained a vast array of insights and decided this rolling stone indeed gathers no moss.

Next adventure? Arizona winter. A snowbirder's paradise of  eccentrics, crazy trails and desert living. Check out my friend's video of the great expansive Mojave at:


That's going to be my seasonal back yard.
Google Quartzite, Arizona and you'll see my target zone.


1 comment: