Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Alcan Route-Idaho to Alaska

While there are several possible routes through Canada, I can recommend this one because of the ease of travel, frequent camps or RV parks, pull overs for rest stops and gas stations.  

Start north on I-84, continue to I-82, total of 237 miles. Then,get onto US 395, take that until to hit Washington 17, total miles on trip ometer is 300.

Take 17 until US 97, which will go into Canada. You'll stay on 97 until it merges with 97c. It will merge with HWY 5 in 65 miles. Take that until Hwy 97 shows up again, the Trans Canada Hwy, towards Cache Creek and Prince George.

In 45 miles, you turn right onto Hwy 97, the Caribou Hwy. Stay on that, towards Prince George, Hwy 97. Follow that until Hwy 16, where you take a left. After nearly 300 miles, you turn right onto Hwy 37. If you're using the data from Milepost, it was accurate.

Watch for signs telling you how far to the next gas. While you can't count on all resorts being open in the fall, I only saw a few closed. Once my tank was on half, I got gas, unless I knew I would be going through a big town like Prince George. Still, I watched for gas before that specific town, in case my road bypassed it and I'd have to detour into the main drag of a busy town. Kamloops was such a town. The rout actually turned (Hwy 5) just before you get to town. If I'd needed gas bad, I'd have to go there, out of the way by a few miles.


  Back to the route. Follow 3, the Stewart-Cassiar highway for about 450 miles. Then, turn left onto Alaska 1. Its at a T intersection, so you can't miss it. You'll stay on that until you cross the border where the name changes to Hwy 2....no worries, it does change back to Alaska 1 in Tok.

That's where you decide to go to Fairbanks or Anchorage.

No one seemed to worry about who was sleeping in their cars or parked along the highway pull offs. I think the motels are very pricey for what they looked like on the outside, so I never stayed in one. I only spent three nights in Canada.

I didn't use any credit cards while in Canada, but had several with me, just in case. Bring small bills to avoid carrying around a lot of Canadian coins. Everything below a $5 bill is in coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment