Monday, July 22, 2013

How I Remade My Bag into a Quilt

This was both a learning project and a minimalist ultralighter's fascination. I've had this fantastic Marmot 30 degree sleeping bag ever since I bought it in Damascus while on my Appalachian Trail thru hike.
I washed it by hand in 2009 and dried it in the dryer, restoring the loft completely at that time. It served as a top quilt in Yellowstone last winter, a great piece of gear no matter what outdoor or indoor adventure. But, the quilt is also a great piece of gear and I've thought about making a down quilt for a long time. Put both projects together and you have the video below.


Be patient when working with clean down. Its like corralling clouds. Like the fluff from dandelions.

One thing I realized: a full sized sleeping pad, trimmed to fit this quilt, will provide the bottom insulation. Normally I use a three-quarter length ultralight pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment