Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Winter at Lake Yellowstone Man Camp

Tomorow I'm going into Gardiner to get my brakes done. I was riding around town with a friend and he said my brakes were shot, they sounded terrible.

Well, I thought I just had them done, but really, the way time flys, its probably been a couple years by now.

So, stopping in the local tire and brake shop, the mechanic put it up on the rack, sure enough, metal on metal, the pads are gone. Humm, I replied, I been driving around like that, down Rosevelt and such, curves and thousand foot drop offs, not knowing thats what that noise was.

While I'm in the shop, I'll have the guy tell me all about preparing my car for Yellowstone winter. I got a job cooking for the construction crew up at Lake Hotel. Its going to be amazing, snowed in with about 40 hardy eaters. Out of a ton of applicants, I was chosen to complete the culinary crew of 4. Our kitchen was pulled in before I left Lake Lodge Location, transferring here for the remainder of my work agreement.

 
One of the best things about this location is watching the multitudes of female elks wandering around, and the few bull elks attempting to herd them, bugling their challenges. We can hear them all night long, making an eerie back drop to full moonlit nights.



I've had alot of people asking me how I plan to get out, spend my days off, get into town.
I plan to park the winterized vehicle at West Yellowstone, take a snow coach there maybe once a month. A full bore shopping trip to Bozeman is sceduled for Thursday, for all the toiletries a woman needs in -40 degree weather, 10 feet of snow on the ground. Skis!

I'll keep you all posted on winter at Lake Yellowstone. It will be an experience of a life time. I'll cook tons of comfort foods for hungry guys, ski, read, write, watch satelite t-v if we get it. I do think we'll have internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment