Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Make Your Own Brand of Microwave Popcorn Cheap

Remember years ago when Popcorn lung was attributed to opening microwave popcorn inside the house. Apparently the steam rising off the inside of the bag was toxic.
Some companies started making a variety without the dreaded chemical whose name I can't remember.
Then, shortly thereafter, while watching CNN I learned a trick from the newsroom. A reporter demonstrated what she did to achieve a bag of delicious, fat free, no dishes to wash, microwave popcorn.

Into one lunch size brown paper sack, measure 1/3 cup popcorn seeds. Roll the top over twice and staple (yes, unbelievably) staple twice to seal it.
Depending on the power of your machine, microwave as you would normally do the prepackaged stuff. My microwave takes 3 minutes and 40 seconds.
Now, I do admit it made me nervous to do staples, and I did scotch tape. The popcorn blew it open. After retrieving all the kernels, I tried the two staples. It made a believer out of me.


One it comes out of the microwave, I slice the top open so its like an open bowl. I use the butter flavored spray, and then salt it generously. The flavor is outstanding, no additional calories from fat and you can enhance with spices as you wish. Try some garlic powder!

This costs about half and is much healthier than the stuff they sell to us prepackaged. We've been doing this for several years now and it works.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I are constantly on a diet. She eats a lot of popcorn. I don't like the stuff. I asked her about this chemical thing, I'd never heard of it before. She is going to test out your system and she is going to get ahold of whoever it is that makes her brand and see what the deal is. I hope they took care of the chemical issue because if we find out there's a bad chemical in her brand,she is doomed. She eats so much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.popcornlung.com/PracticeAreas/Popcorn-Lung-Symptoms.asp

    I googled it, Arsenius. My man wants me to open any microwave popcorn outside, not in the house. Copy and paste the link into your address bar, if you want to read more.

    ReplyDelete