Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wild Persimmons

I tasted my first wild persimmon after a warning that it could be hideous. Mine was fully ripe, soft to the touch, a lovely peach color and tasted like an apricot. Immediately I started thinking of jam, jelly, wine, and salsa.
I did some research. Wikipedia has a lot of information, dealing widely with all varieties of persimmons, not necessarily wild.
At http://www.treetrail.net/diospyros.html I found photos, a little history, and tips on harvesting wild fruits. Cultivation was discussed as well. Some trees are male, some female and some can self pollinate.
Good thing I gathered a dozen or so wild fruit just in these don't self pollinate and planted them in groupings around the perimeter of the yard. Even though it may take six years to produce fruit, its worth doing.
Wildlife and Native Americans loved wild persimmons. They can be dried when too abundant for immediate consumption.
Along with acorns, sassafras, common plantain and shelf mushrooms, we have a bountiful array of wild foods that are easily identified.

No comments:

Post a Comment