Monday, August 23, 2010

A Prototype Stove


I'm excited about my new stove. It only weighs 12 grams and will allow me to bake bread and cake on the trail. My plan is to bring both soda can stoves because one will cook quickly, the other will bake slowly.


The first baking tests shown on my


http://www.youtube.com/user/brawny03


account were somewhat disappointing. I let the pan get too hot, the bread burnt on the bottom. It tasted delicious however and I knew the burning could be remedied. Pancakes were easy. This is a great food, too, because wild berries can be added, and the mix is widely available.


My fourth try at baking gave me the results I was looking for. A perfect cake, nicely browned, and easily removed from the pan.


Possible delectable backpacking meals are in the works for upcoming blog posts. My criteria will include: inexpensive, satisfying, easily found in grocery stores, packable. I plan to include stats on calories, protien and pack weight.


I avoid the mountain house type meals. They just seem way overpriced for what you get, and too much packaging for the long distance hiker.


No comments:

Post a Comment