Thursday, May 2, 2013

Wild Edibles

How to Eat Stinging Nettles is a great page for reading about a very common, easily identified wild food. I've eaten these before and can attest they are pretty tasty once boiled. You've basically got to do something to remove the sting from the plant before eating them.

 This summer, I will be spending a great deal of time living in the wilderness, both backpacking on the CDT and working with Mountainman Mike who lives on the Continental Divide. Check out my post entitled "A Real Mountain Man Survivalist" on April 10, 2013.

Many people just have book knowledge because they don't have the time or inclination to get out there and try it. I have both, so this blog should take on some interesting twists in June.





Right now, up here at Man Camp at Lake Yellowstone, in Yellowstone National Park, the snow is melting and the construction is at an all time crazy level. All sorts of guys are showing up to get this massive project accomplished.

We in the kitchen have to deal with unprojected numbers by overproducing to deal with an extra 10-15 hungry dudes. If some leave before eating, we have leftovers to creatively deal with. No problem, we can make that happen.

I look forward to a change of scenery. Much as I love Yellowstone, this last month, May, is going to be something to write home to mom about. The concessionaire, Xanterra, is focused on getting their people housed, trained and on track for an excellent season. I hope everyone makes it, seriously I do.

We've had to vacate the Osprey dorm and bring in trailers for the extra guys to sleep in. Even though they can drive their own rigs, Lake Yellowstone is a long ways from anything.

There's a lot of activity. Trucks hauling in furnishings for cabins, materials for the painters, a deep cleaning crew to make the dust all disappear.
Its been quite an experience and I'd like to thank all the bosses for letting me work up here for seven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment