Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Using Charcoal and Sand as a Water Filters

After publishing my Hobo Water Filter system video to YouTube, a guy suggested using Charcoal and sand as well, or in place of chlorine. I like to go as natural as possible, so did a google research on this. The best link I found was:

http://www.helium.com/items/1423236-how-to-purify-water-in-the-wilderness

Indeed, charcoal is very effective in purification. However, it did say chemicals are sometimes needed against viruses. The article recommended rain water as one of the purest sources of water.

If I intended much of this run off to be drinkable, I would definitely totally disinfect the buckets and add a screen to the top to prevent anything from falling in. One morning I found a dead mouse which had probably fallen in and drowned.

All these systems and knowledge is great to learn now while we still have Internet and resources. I use this information too in my new books.

At first, I thought, how do I get charcoal. In a campfire! Easy as that. Of course, if you are on the move, like a long distance backpacking trip, using a tiny bottle of chlorine is perfect.

1 comment:

  1. That's one issue I don't worry much about because I'm not bugging out, come hell or dirty water. As long as I stay at my place, I'm good for fresh water.

    If a fire runs me out, I guess I will just croak before the cannibals get me.

    ReplyDelete