Friday, September 10, 2010

Marmot Hydrogen Goose Down Bag

Some gear choices I love can be seen in the above video. One is my Hydrogen Marmot 800 fill goose down Sleeping Bag.

I bought it in May 2002 to hike the Appalachian Trail. I bought it in Damascus, Virgina. Its a 30 degree bag, and weighs just 24 ounces. At the time I was trying to stuff a synthetic 20 degree bag into my 9 ounce ultralight pack, which ended up taking too much space. My down bag takes up only half the space. It cost $269 plus tax. I never regretted spending the money .

After much trail wear, including the Appalachian Trail, Colorado Trail, Bartram Trail, Foothills Trail, and Montana section of the Continental Divide Trail, it sorta lost its loft and wasn't keeping me warm. The feathers were shifting to the bottom and I had about given up on it. The fabric is ultralight and so soft that I even thought of re-stuffing it.

In my quest for another goose down bag the sales person who has also done the AT suggested I wash this bag, and the oils would be removed from the feathers . Sure enough, it was reborn. I look forward to spending many more nights in this quality bag.

See yesterday's blog for ways to preserve the life of your sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment