Thursday, August 19, 2010

Surviving the Road Trip


As I crested the mountain just east of Franklin, North Carolina, storm clouds abated enough to let me photo home.
Yes, the Appalachian Mountains are home. But in March, the hankering for a seasonal adventure got the best of me and I began thinking about Utah. What if I got a job at one the the national parks, explored on my days off, and visited all the family members scattered across the United States on the way there and back? I posed this question to my partner, and he promised to come visit.
Well, before I could sneeze twice, I landed a job at Zion National Park, cooking in the Lodge. I headed out early May, worked three months, and headed back to Georgia.
A lot of my daily musings both good and bad can be read in my
http://www.brawnyview.blogspot.com another blog I do which is more philosophical and has been online a couple years now.
All told, I've put nearly 7,000 miles on my 1996 Geo Metro this summer. I did all the driving, navigating (using Mapquest and yahoo driving directions) and came up with strategies for survival. I started in Georgia, drove to Zion, in Utah. Next stop Boise, Idaho. Then Madison, Wisconsin. A couple days in Sycamore, Illinois. Then back to Georgia.
I am a frugal minimalist by nature so these strategies will perhaps amaze, shock, and verge on ridiculous. So?
Seriously, when all is said and done, I accomplished my goals and returned richer and wiser in many ways.
I wanted to explore the canyon lands of southern Utah, see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, cook in fine dining, visit family and satisfy the adventure lust.
I recommend Zion National Park, both as a play destination and work location.
To read about the Surviving the Road Trip, a Soloist's Journey, please check out the page linked to blog, on the right navigational box.
And, its good to be home and looking forward to my new survival projects. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment